Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Invasion by J.S. Lewis

First off I would like to thank Cson for giving me this book to review.

Colt is the California poster boy; he surfs, plays guitar, video gamer, he's the popular kid at school. When his family goes to D.C. for vacation Colt has the chance to participate in a military training center "fun" day for students, invitation only. When he gets home his life quickly changes when a terrible accident happens, making him move in with his grandpa. Which leads to him getting thrown into a world of aliens, adventure, mind control and danger.

Okay, I'll admit it. Normally I'm not that big into Sci-Fi. I have not seen a full show of Star Trek, haven't read a single Superman comic, I don't watch the sky for UFOs or anything like that. Therefore, when I got this book I was ready to learn of new worlds like I never have.

The first 50 or so pages were wonderful, fresh plot, action, mystery, discovery, humor, it was all there. Then the plot took a turn I didn't care for. Invasion turned into a copy of multiple plots I've read, just with Sci-Fi twists.

Colt as a character wasn't as well developed as I would have liked. We did get into his personal life and feelings but I never felt like I knew him. The same with Lily, Dani, and Oz, I loved the characters just never connected with them.
Now I'll give Jon points, he came up with a creative way so that we knew more than Colt through part of the book. I thought it was fun knowing more than the main character. He came up with some cool creatures and worlds that I can't wait to visit in the next book. Lewis also had the teen humor down to a tea, making the book tons of fun to read. He had short chapters so I felt like I was making a lot of progress while I read and I love the fact that Lewis used his book to teach that girls and guys can just be friends, not boyfriend/girlfriend.

This book was realistic enough to have me wishing I could go to the store and get the Phantom Flyer and the Agents of Chaos comic book, yet Sci-Fi enough to make it a great "get-a-way" book to relax with. I look forward to the next book in the series; Jon S. Lewis just needs to work on plot and character development for me to love his series.

B