Monday, March 28, 2011

The Door in the Dragon's Throat by Frank Peretti


*to a tune* There's a hole in the bottom of the desert. There's a hole in the bottom of the desert. There's a hole, there's a hole. There's a hole in the bottom of the desert. And in that hole is a cavern, and in that cavern is a door, and behind that door no one knows what... *song goes on*

So, with the mystery of what is behind the door enters Dr. Jake Cooper an archeologist. Who has traveled the world with his crew Jeff, Tom, Bill and his two children, Jay and Lila.
They were asked to come explore a pit in the desert by President Al-Dallam who is looking for riches. What they find there though is utterly amazing.

In short I was pleasantly surprised, Frank Peretti wrote an entertaining book in 125 pages and with only 9 named characters. In a publishing world where everyone wants depth, lots of characters, and at least 300 page books this was a wonderful break. I loved sitting back and reading Door in the Dragon's Throat.

I read this book years ago and enjoyed it just as much now as I did then. The thrill, excitement, discovery was like when I first read it, The Door in the Dragon's Throat was so good I read it in one sitting. With my busy life I loved the fact I could sit down and read an entire book so quickly, do to its size.
Now don't get me wrong! Even though it was a short book it is by no means simple. No it is complex compared to what I see in most pre-teen books. Twists, action, insight, adventure, explosions, everything I look for in a book were here. Good enough for an older teen or even adult reader.
Peretti also filled this book with lessons of greed, revelations, trusting in God and more. These are wonderful lessons taught without over preaching.

Frank Peretti was my first “big” author I had ever read as a kid, I started with his teen books then his pre-teen. Looking back I decided to read The Cooper Kid adventure series again and see what I thought of it years later as a reviewer.  I wasn’t disappointed. This book is great.

A